Wednesday, May 19, 2010

About damn time...

Well folks... its been a while since I've posted anything around here so I thought I would write a few words about what I've been up to and all that.  I don't have a real clear idea of what this blog is about or what I should and should not post.  I guess over the times that I have posted it has changed from a music blog to a heartbreak blog and back again.  Music has always played a big part in my day to day life.  From early on I remember driving around the country roads with my dad listening to country music of one form or another.  Apparently I was a huge fan of Merle Haggard at a very young age.  I remember dad telling me when I brought home a cd that was all covers of his songs by various singer-songwriters that I used to sing along nice and loud to "My Own Kind of Hat"  Songs for me seem to trigger memories, both good and bad.  Sometimes it is what I was doing when the song was playing or other times its the lyrics to the song that I can relate in my mind to a situation that I went through at sometime or another.

That is something that I have always wanted to make a career of.  Music in someway or another.  I filled out the paper work to get back in school and see if I can't stick it out to at least finish up an Associates degree in journalism/mass communications.  It isn't going to guarntee that I will be able to work with music but its a start.  If I could parlay this information into a radio job great.  If it doesn't work for me to be in radio, I will at least have some business classes under my cap and that will hopefully let me get a better paying job where I don't have to break my back for the money I earn.  That is the hope anyway.

Otherwise I have just been working at the station here in town.  Pay isn't great and the hours suck but it is a job.  For that I am grateful.  The economy around here has been hit hard by the recession. What few job are around don't seem to pay much and even those low pay no skill jobs have 30-40 people vying to get them.  I was told the other day that while I was living in Washington, something like 1,500 jobs were cut from Kay County.  Most of those jobs won't be coming back.  It was a very hard decision to come back here because of the simple fact that I knew I would have to take much less pay despite the fact my bills are still the same size that they used to be.  I have tightened my belt, sucked it up and I will survive on what I make and try to be happy.  Its a long road but I'll make it. 

Hope all is well with yall.  And remember to keep the sunny side up and the dirty side down and every thing else will work its self out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you that you're getting back into radio! :) Much luck!